If you read the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio, you will be familiar with Mr. Browne, one of Auggie’s most cherished teachers. Mr. Browne introduces his class to a new PRECEPT each month. Precepts are basically things that guide us when making decisions about important things. They are quotes, sayings, and thoughts governed by our moral compass and integrity.
I was so deeply touched by the book and the messages of kindness and authenticity, so I am loosely basing this class on the precept concept from Wonder. Each week I will be introducing the girls to one of my most favorite precepts and also giving them an opportunity to weigh in with some of their own. This class will be rich in empowerment, empathy, group discussions, critical and imaginative thought, kindness, community, and an abundance of creativity. I am really looking forward to this series and know your girls are going to love it, too!
Your Girls Will Love:
- Exploring weekly precepts and group discussions that will help create a sense of community and inclusivity, increase their sense of self, foster their creative spirits, and encourage them to be the kind of person that other people can count on.
- Creative interpretation and brainstorming their own powerful messages and precepts.
- Working alone and in small groups. Getting regular practice using their voices and speaking from their hearts.
- Participating in random acts of kindness that benefit local communities.
- Engaging in the creative arts on a weekly basis and building on the foundation of artistic and creative thought.
- This EIGHT-week series will run on Mondays from January 8—March 12 (no classes on MLK Day and President’s Day)
- We meet from 2:45-4:30 p.m.
- Classes take place at our 358 Woodland St. studio in Holliston. Girls from other local towns are welcome and encouraged to attend.
- UNLESS I FIND AN INTERN/ASSISTANT, REGISTRATION WILL BE CAPPED AT 12 GIRLS FOR THIS SESSION. THE MAJORITY OF MY CLASSES ARE REPEAT ATTENDEES AND SPACES WILL GO QUICKLY.
- This class is age-appropriate and recommended for for girls in 3rd—8th grade.
- Class fee includes all art materials and after-school snacks.
- Sibling discount available: click appropriate option in drop-down box.
- Should we experience any weather-related cancellations, we will hold make-ups at the end of the session.
- You will receive a welcome email from me approximately the week before class starts.
- Registrants to my classes are added to my email newsletter list. You will begin to receive sporadic Self Esteem Through Art emails.
- There are no refunds for this class, so please be sure you/your child can commit to all EIGHT weeks.